Leaseholder & Shared Owners


Are you a home owner or a leaseholder? We have a range of information just for you!

Making payments

If you need to make payment for any service charges or rent due, you can do so online using our website, by Direct Debit, over the phone or in person at one of the many nationwide PayPoint locations.

Find out more information about the many ways you can make a payment.

Fire safety and cladding

We know some leaseholders will be affected by the government's updated advice notes on building safety.

We completely understand this is causing concern. We’ve further information on this subject, including how we’re working hard to push for more government support for leaseholders. Read more.

Repairs, alterations and adjustments

Usually leaseholders and shared owners are responsible for all internal repairs to their home at their own expense. This includes items such as the glass in the windows and the window handles and locks.

If you need to report a repair for something we are responsible for, such as work in communal areas or any external repairs, then there are a number of ways you can do this, with the easiest being through our online service MyAccount. We recover the costs of any work we do in the common parts through the service charge you pay each month.

As a shared owner or leaseholder, you'll also need our permission if you wish to make home improvements.  This includes:

  • New kitchen or bathroom installation
  • New boiler or central heating installation
  • Replacement doors and windows
  • Conservatories or extensions
  • Electrical installation and replacement
  • Loft conversions

You don’t need our permission for:

  • Redecoration
  • Internal doors (unless you live in a block of flats)
  • Replacing fence panels
  • Replacing broken window glass.

To apply for permission to make home improvements you’ll need to complete our Home Improvements application form (PFD). Alternatively please contact us to request a copy.

Alongside this form, you'll also need to provide us with:

  • Plans of the work you wish to carry out
  • Details of any planning permission or building regulations required
  • Explanation of how the work will be completed
  • Details of your building contractors.

If you have any other questions about any alterations or changes you wish to make to your home, please contact us.

Buying a new home or increasing your existing share

We’ve got a wide selection of properties available to purchase as part of shared ownership schemes throughout London, the Midlands and the South East.

Browse the homes available.

If you already own a share of a property as part of a shared ownership scheme and would like to increase the share you own, you can do this through a process called stair casing.

More information about stair casing is available here.

Selling your home

If you own a share in a property through a shared ownership scheme with us and would like to sell, then the process is fairly straight forward.

Find out more about what you need to do to sell your home.

Subletting your home

As a shared owner, subletting your home is not allowed, apart from in rare circumstances (defined as ‘exceptional’).

This is because your home was built with government funding and we have to make sure that the people who benefit from this funding are not using their home to make money.

If you sublet your home without a written agreement from us you're in breach of the terms of your shared ownership lease. Subletting without permission is very serious and, if we have to, we'll take legal action and you risk losing your home.

If you have any questions about subletting, please contact us.

image: a couple extending their leaseLease extensions

If you’re an Optivo leaseholder, you may need to extend your lease.

Many Optivo leases were originally granted in the 1980s and it’s likely the term was granted at 99 years. The length of a lease goes down over time. If the property is sold the original lease is passed to the new owner rather than a new lease being created.

Mortgage lenders may be unwilling to provide a mortgage on a property where there are less than 80 years left on the lease.

Full leaseholders (not shared owners) have a statutory right to a lease extension. However, we encourage leaseholders to follow the informal route as it’s much quicker and cheaper. We also offer this informal service to our shared owners. Find out how to extend your lease. 

Have a question? I'm here to help

Also in this section:

Homeowner living in an apartment block?

If you’re planning to change your mortgage, are thinking of selling, or want to buy more shares in your home, you need to consider that many lenders have now made changes to their conditions.