It's Gas Safety Week!

 

13 September 2021

Did you know, poorly maintained gas appliances are a huge safety risk to you and your family? Every year there are around 60 deaths from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning in England and Wales.

Your annual gas service – it could save your life!

image: Gas Safety week logo

Gas Safety Week is a great opportunity to make sure your appliances are gas safe and to be aware of the dangers of Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning.

Whilst it’s easy to detect the recognisable smell of escaped gas, there’s no such warning with carbon monoxide. It’s a silent killer. You can watch the Gas Safety Week video at the top of the page to see the story of a community devastated by a gas explosion and the ripple effect it leaves behind.

The impactful video was released last year, but we wanted to share again and would encourage you to spare a few minutes to watch.

It's reasons like this that make it so important you allow us to service your boiler and gas appliances.

image: gas engineerWhat is Optivo doing to keep me safe?

We service ALL our gas supplies, installations and equipment every year. In fact, we go further than that. Using Gas Safe Engineers, we’ve an 11 month servicing cycle. So, it’s vital you allow us access for this service.

Your appointment

We’ll contact you around two months before your service is due. You can help us by keeping the appointment or rearranging it if you need to. Our contractors will also do a visual inspection of any gas appliances you’ve installed yourselves.

The contact details for our gas contractors can be found here.

But take note…we won’t rest until your service is complete. Even if that means going to court for an injunction (costing you £800+). That’s how serious we are about keeping you and your neighbours safe!

IMAGE: Engineer checking a boilerKnow the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning

Unsafe gas appliances can produce a highly poisonous gas called carbon monoxide (CO). It can cause death as well as serious long term health problems such as brain damage.

CO is produced by the incomplete burning of natural gas. This happens when a gas appliance has been incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained.

It can also occur if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked. CO poisoning symptoms are similar to those of flu, food poisoning, viral infections and fatigue. That’s why it’s quite common for people to mistake this very
dangerous poisoning for something else.

Remember the six main symptoms to look out for:
  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Breathlessness
  • Collapse
  • Loss of consciousness.

Being aware of the symptoms could save your life. You may also notice that your symptoms only occur when you’re at home and seem to disappear when you leave home. Others in your household (including pets) may experience similar symptoms.

What to do if you suspect CO poisoning?

Get fresh air immediately. Open doors and windows, turn off gas appliances and leave the house.

Call your doctor or go to hospital - let them know that you suspect CO poisoning. They can do a blood or breath test to check.

If you think there is an immediate danger from a gas leak, call the Gas Emergency Helpline on 0800 111 999.

image: gas hob flameWhat can you do to prevent CO poisoning?

The most important thing you can do to minimise the risk of unsafe gas appliances is to allow our contractors to carry out your annual gas safety check. Call us today on 0800 121 60 60 if you believe your appointment is due.

Keeping residents and colleagues safe

We know you may still have concerns relating to the Coronavirus pandemic. We’ll continue to review government guidance. Most national Covid-19 restrictions have been lifted, but the safety of our residents and staff remains our number one priority. 

For this reason, and with high numbers of Covid-19 cases in the community, we’ll continue to follow our current safety measures. This means our colleagues and contractors will continue wearing face coverings and keeping a social distance if they’re in your home.

Keeping us informed

If you're self-isolating or displaying any Covid-19 symptoms and we’re due to visit your home, please let us know beforehand. This is vital for the safety of our staff and others. If you need to get in touch there are a number of ways to contact us.